Monday, August 27, 2012

A Day at the Lake


This past Saturday we took a day-trip to one of the local lakes, where our friend's father owns a home. We got up early in the morning, packed the car with a cooler, some swim suits, some doggie things and Miss Luna Petunia herself and headed southbound for a day trip.

When we pulled up to the small summer cottage, it made me ridiculously, awfully, knot in the belly homesick. Driving through the community was like driving through where I grew up and the house itself was eerily similar to the converted summer home I grew up in. Right down to the knotty pine paneling and cabinets in the kitchen. It also had that amazing effect that bodies of water tend to have on me; I could feel the stress just blowing away on the cool breezes, my body relaxed noticeably and I couldn't stop grinning. It had the same effect on Joe, who grew up in a very similar community on the edge of a lake.


When we first went down to the water, my friend and I went out onto the dock while Luna and Joe tried the water. Now, Luna is not a water loving dog. When you give her a bath, you may as well be trying to kill her and the kiddie pool we got for her is a big water dish - not something to play in. But I looked up and there she was, paddling as hard as her tiny legs would allow out to us on the dock! Future attempts to re-create her initial swim were hilarious failures. At one point she swam back to shore and sprinted around the yard in circles, refusing to get near any of us tricky people. Until she got tired, then she wanted whichever lap was closest.


Once we tuckered out the pup, we took a ride on the pontoon boat and lucky her, she was invited along. It turns out, I'm married to Panama Jack and my dog is a born sea-fairer! As we puttered about the lake, doing a good job emptying the cooler, my friend's father told us about some of the lake's history. It's man made and at the bottom there are still the remnants of houses and roadways from the town they flooded out long, long ago. An island in the center of the lake is called bomb island, as it was a place where they did practice runs during World War II. Nowadays though, it's the largest roosting place for the Purple Martin in all of North America. Apparently, at night you can watch several thousand birds come in to roost. We didn't get to see that this time, but hopefully one day we will and I'll be armed with my camera instead of my phone to get some pictures.


Not a square photo, lol.

To round out the day of beautiful sights and sounds, we were able to see both an eagle and an osprey hunting in the shallows while we sat on the porch eating dinner. As we drove home that night, with the scents of sunscreen and bug spray in the air, the sandy grit of spray in my hair and the first crackling feeling of sunburn on the edges of my face, I felt better than I have in months.


I'm not sure when, but one day, we'll move back to the edge of the water.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Danni, what a blessed day you had. Water is so soothing and magickal. LOVE your photos of your excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How terrific to go down to the lake, and feel so happy. Your little Luna is adorable! Glad you and Joe had a good day. And hope you have some aloe for that burn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you all had a beautiful day! Yay for Luna and her first attempts at swimming! I love seeing pictures from your neck of the woods. I grew up in Asheville, NC and love the landscape on the East Coast. Makes me a smidge homesick seeing all those leafy green trees. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful times was had by all.....

    Nature has a cure for what ails you! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owww just reading that made me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so full of the awesome I got tingly reading it. Water has an amazing effect on me. I too had a house on a lake growing up, but not up north like you. I bet I know the last to which you refer up north ; )

    P.S. Your dog is adorable and I love the angel tattoo on your chest. While I have 5 tattoos sadly I have to say those days are over. I always tell people with the pain of my head and ovaries I can't bear intentionally inflicting pain on myself at this stage of my life.

    Glad you had such a magical experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to go to the lake or something, but it won't stop raining here. I wonder if you guys will get any of the hurricane rains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got to go home! Looking at your pictures I am homesick for that place and it's not even my home! What a gorgeous, peaceful, fun, wonderful piece of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous place to go home to! So glad you got to renew with smiling happy people, beautiful scenery, and a sweet little doggie. Hugs Love and Light!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our dog Rocky is a good sailor too. But, even though he is paper trained, as long as he can see the shore he thinks we should take him ashore so he can pee.

    ReplyDelete