Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Who's That Festive Creature?

Oh, the one in my new blog header? That's Yvonne. She was quite insistent yesterday that I would get nothing done until I put aside my other plans and brought her to life.

Of course, being a very particular creature, she wasn't satisfied with simply being any old Faun. After catching a glimpse of my tree and the bits and baubles of holiday magic, she was quite positive she could not be complete until she was appropriately dressed for the season.


Lest you think she be terribly unreasonable with her demands, she was actually quite patient as I struggled with the less than ideal paper I had drawn her on. You see, that yellow under tone behind some of the snowflakes? That's ink from sending this paper through my printer a while back and being out of all but the tiniest bit of yellow ink. Whatever I had attempted to print was a ghost image to my naked eye and I had forgotten all about it until, of course, I began to paint.

After a few hours and a bit of patience,the yellow ink turned into quite the happy accident. It helped a bit with the shading of her face and gives a nice glow to parts of the snow. I'm just hoping her sisters have the foresight to stop me from using a bum piece of paper for whatever medium they want to be born into.

Did I forget to mention she has sisters? She does and they're quite the family of Peculiar Fauns.

P.S. While I was searching the internet to make sure Yvonne hadn't taken some other fauns name I cam across the remarkably bizarre and wonderful world of Hank Pine and Lily Fawn. They're a vaudevillian act whose look and sound seems to be fairly inspired by old fairy tales and secret societies. You can visit their site here


P.P.S. I've added prints of Yvonne's holiday portrait to the shop. You can find them here.

11 comments:

  1. she's lovely, I have to say that before reading all the way through I was thinking to myself that I really liked the yellow undertone peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she makes a gorgeous header! I love her, can't wait to see the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT GODDESS! I LOVE HER!!! she is so amazing! no wonder she wanted out!! if I had the extra money I would have to have an 8x10 of her for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she's wonderful! =D
    Perfect for the holidays... ^-^

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's just beautiful! So, so lovely. Great work missus! I can't wait to meet the rest of the clan. I love the way you decorate your blog for each season. It feels so festive here :) Also, I didn't realise it was so long since I've been here! So much to catch up with. I've only glanced down, I'm going to go read your posts now, but from what I see you've been on quite the creative spree. I love those mushrooms you made! Well, hope you're having a nice day!
    Roisin x

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's beautiful! I'm so glad she was so insistent and that you took the time and brought her to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is really pretty - and festive! The perfect header for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new blog look, Danni! Gorgeous and how wonderful to have such a Winter Faun muse. I'd love to see some more of her in your shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a cute painting! It reminds me of a book I used to have as a kid called, "Imogene's Antlers". It's about a girl who start growing antlers one day. They get so big that the family starts adding things like Christmas ornaments & using them for drying the laundry. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's adorable Danni! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of her "family" :-)

    Thanks for your encouragement with my crafties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very attractive and very eye catching. Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings Fiona

    ReplyDelete