Friday, July 30, 2010

Hunting Island, SC


For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
E.E Cummings



57 (at least) mosquito bites, 0 alligator and turtle sightings and quite the sunburn aside, I had a marvelous time on Hunting Island. It was quite the tropical paradise from it's palm fronds and trees everywhere to it's scores of brown pelicans living right off the coast line. To make things even more magical, we spent the weekend of the full moon there.. a happy accident! I felt like a completely different, worry free and light spirited person while I was there.

I'll let my photos do the rest of the talking as simple words cannot describe the beauty of this place nor the joy I felt at seeing magnificent birds in person for the very first time.





















I remarked to Joe that I had no idea pelicans were so very large and that they reminded me of pterodactyls, so every time a group of them would fly over head he would whistle the Jurassic Park theme song. I still have no concept of how big one would be directly in front of me as I only saw them in flight, but my guess is they're friggen huge.

12 comments:

  1. that looks like a beautiful place. i'd never heard of it before but i'm going to have to investigate it. i'm always looking for quiet beaches.
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous... I love the picture of the pelican flying over. I think they look like Pterodactyl's too. It looks like a beautiful place to get away for a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how lovely this was, thanks so much for sharing I loved your pics! sounds like the mosquito bites all 57ish were worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like paradise,beautiful photoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful pictures.... so glad to hear you had a wonderful relaxing time... I love pelicans and yes they are huge.... like a remnant from the past.... blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I love that quote from e.e. cummings. The pictures are wonderful. My favorite is the last one with the full moon. Just gorgeous!! - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~breathtaking...no words needed for sure in such a place...and the full moon...be still my beating heart...gorgeous moments and memories shared...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wanna hear something crazy? The bf and I went to hunting island last week! We were going nuts here so we did a couple nights in Beaufort (not worth it) and Hunting Island was amazing. I've never seen flocks of pelicans like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I could spend some time in a place like that - gorgeous! So glad you got away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful. Don't you just love empty deserted beaches? I'm totally jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fifth grade class camped there for a week about twenty years ago! Cheers for Hunting Island...it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. !!!
    My husband and I camped there a couple of years ago and it was amazing! I have some lovely pictures of the twisted drowned trees on the beach...and autumn afternoons at the lagoon. It's beautiful. Glad I found this post!

    ReplyDelete