I lamented over the book I should use for quite a while but then a book literally jumped off the shelf at me while I was browsing the journal section of the book store and despite it's significant lack of subtlety (there will be no keeping people from touching this if they spot it) I knew it was perfect for me.
While warm oranges and reds very rarely find themselves in my favor, they worked so well with the swirling birds that I fell in love the moment it hit my arm.
However, I have two issues with the book. The first is that it's bound. I can't add to it over time and as such will be sort of limiting what it can contain due to space constraints. It has 96 double sides pages so I can fit a good deal of information in it. My second issue is that the pages are a hair too thin to hold up well to paint of any sort. If it were just a wee bit more sturdy I could watercolor it until I ran out of paint, but as it is when I paint in it the color bleeds to the other side, rendering my pages 1 sided.
All that being said, my work on this book has sort of stagnated at 2 pages over the past 5 months. I drew my Earth Mother in the book and began a page in my deity section, so it wouldn't be terribly difficult for me to start again in another book and repurpose this one into a sketch book or tarot diary.
The dilemma comes in again; what sort of book should I use? Also, what sections do I want to include? Every time I peek at a book done by someone else, I tend to pick up a new idea or two and if this continues, my book will need 400+ pages!
The things that I know I will include, without a doubt are:
* Book Blessing - preferably written by myself, but as I prefer poetic spellwork and blessings and am not much of a poet myself, I may bend on that.
* My personal creed
* My vow to the Earth Mother
* Wheel of the Year Myth and sabbat information
* Moon Phases - correspondences and rituals
* The Elements - Correspondences ad information
* My Altar tools and setup - Misc. information on the tools I use and why. Not paraphrased from a book.
* Casting of the circle - Again, my method and quarter calls. I can't use most incense, so I need to improvise.
* Spellworkings - I'm not sure how I'll categorize this yet. Perhaps by method and intention? Such as Oils, Incense, Sachets, Rituals and then subcategories for intent under each heading.
* Divination - by pendulum, runes, scrying, tea leaves
* Correspondences - Colors, Gemstones, Days of the Week, Bric-a-Brac
* Runes and Symbology
Things I would like to add, but think may require their own books:
* Herbal correspondences and workings
So, now that I've shared, I'd like to hear from you. Do you have a BoS or Grimoire? Do you have a haphazard mess of notes and scribbles? If you do, what sort of book do you have? What sections did you include and why?
Is there anything I'm missing that you think I should include? Why?