Thursday, March 3, 2011

Review: Electric Barracuda


Review of Tim Dorsey's Electric Barracuda.


I'd like to invite you to take a tour, but mind you this won't be your everyday run of the mill old women with visors snapping pictures kind of tour. This tour will put you in the role of a fugitive and have you skirting cops, peeling around corners in your vehicle of choice and meeting the locals as you travel through some of the weirdest and seediest parts of Florida.

Before you embark though, why don't let me tell you a bit about the man whose been concocting this tour all while keeping a secret master-plan in his head as he speeds across the state in search of trivia, old friends and 'outs'.

Serge Storms, a murderer and the finest man you could hope to bump in to if you want to know about Florida's local history, legends and lore. You see, he comes from a line of criminals tracing back to the fabled days when Al Capone roosted in the everglades. Don't let his body count or the fact that he's being tailed by a hilarious cast of characters including a dame, a mystery man, a bounty hunter and a gumshoe stuck in the days of noir turn you off the tour. Serge is a killer with a heart of gold and in the tradition of loveable vigilantes, only goes after people who we probably won't miss, like the pedophile at the local playground.

Hop on board, stick around for the ride. You'll laugh, you'll scratch your head and you might even learn something weird and wonderful along the way.
***
When I was initially invited to read and review Electric Barracuda by Tim Dorsey I was a bit skeptical of how into it I would really be. I'm not the sort who gets into crime fiction, I can't remember ever reading a crime novel I enjoyed. I took a chance on it however, due to a few factors:

1) From it's description on the site, it sounded tongue in cheek. I love tongue in cheek.
2) It involves a road trip. I also love road trips.
3) All the talk of offbeat travel made me homesick for New Jersey and my favorite publication and 'tour guide' Weird NJ.

I'm glad that I went and took the chance on the novel, it exceeded my expectations and I found myself chuckling out loud in inappropriate settings, like the waiting room of the doctor's office.

To read other reviews of this novel, click the image below!

Thank you to Trish at TLC Book Tours and the publisher for the review copy of this novel.

7 comments:

  1. I'm very mad at your right now. I'm not supposed to add any books to my TBR pile, but your review has me wanting to meet Serge Storms. I mean, wouldn't want to spend some dark nights with his murderous well informed self?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read another of the Serge books and loved it, so I will have to pick this one up. I just happened upon Nuclear Jellyfish at the library and gave it a go. It's a joy to read. Thank you for telling me another title to find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review...sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I might enjoy...thanks for the review!
    Tongue in cheek is always good, and I'm intrigued by the gumshoe character (I just love all things noir and gumshoe)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... the participation part is awkward as well. Like you said, I could go along with it, but am uncomfortable doing so. The other problem I have is certain things always end up making me so angry, I have a hard time seeing straight... So I just try to avoid the situation as much as possible... o_O

    Have a good weekend! How long until you two move to your new house? ^-^

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, someone swiped your blog button.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you took a chance on this one, and how great that you ended up really loving it! Thanks so much for being on this tour - I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete